Nintendo Labo VR Kit gameplay details revealed
22 March 2019 – by Jack Dawson Taylor
New details of the games included in the Nintendo Labo VR Kit have been revealed ahead of its launch next month.
As previously announced, the VR Kit features six cardboard Toy-Con creations, including the Toy-Con VR Goggles, which are used in conjunction with the others to create the VR effect.
Nintendo has now revealed that each Toy-Con can be used in a number of different ways, with multiple games available for many of them:
- Toy-Con Camera - Ocean Camera and House Camera games
- Toy-Con Elephant - Marble Run and Doodle games
- Toy-Con Bird - Bird and Bird Dash games
- Toy-Con Blaster - Blaster and Kablasta games
- Toy-Con Wind Pedal - Hop Dodge game
Full details of these games are included at the end of the article.
All five Toy-Con can also be used in the VR Plaza, a mode comprised of 64 minigames which can be played using various Toy-Con or just with the VR Goggles and Nintendo Switch.
Much like other Labo kits - including the Variety Kit - the VR Kit will also feature some smaller Toy-Con creations to use alongside the main ones; for example, in the Ocean Camera game, another person can wear the Toy-Con Snorkel to make fish appear in the player's line of sight.
Also included in the software is the Toy-Con Garage mode from all previous Labo kits, as well as the new Toy-Con Garage VR, which was used to create all of the VR Plaza games - which, in turn, players can import into Toy-Con Garage VR to see how they work.
Nintendo Labo VR Kit game details:
- Ocean Camera (uses Toy-Con Camera): Dive into the deep blue virtual sea and complete objectives like taking photos of sea life. The ocean is full of surprises.
- House Camera (uses Toy-Con Camera): Interact with the strange creature living in the house - which some people may recognise from the Nintendo Labo: Variety Kit! - and complete missions by taking photos in its mysterious home.
- Marble Run (uses Toy-Con Elephant): Try to complete physics-based puzzles by using various objects to guide marbles through rings. You can even create puzzles of your own to challenge friends and family.
- Doodle (uses Toy-Con Elephant): Create colourful 3D artwork by moving the trunk of the Toy-Con Elephant through the air, using various in-game tools and styles to bring your creations to life. Once finished, show off your masterpieces on the TV by docking your Nintendo Switch. An additional multiplayer game lets players take turns drawing and guessing each other's drawings.
- Bird (uses Toy-Con Bird): Soar through the sky on a bird's back, collecting items and helping baby birds hatch along the way. When using the Toy-Con Bird, players can flap its wings. But a tap of the Toy-Con Wind Pedal delivers a surprisingly strong puff of air to the player as the bird in the game gets an extra boost of speed.
- Bird Dash (uses Toy-Con Bird): Compete in timed challenges by racing through checkpoints as you fly through the sky.
- Blaster (uses Toy-Con Blaster): Battle an alien invasion and giant bosses in an on-rails experience that requires sharp reflexes and a keen eye.
- Kablasta (uses Toy-Con Blaster): Challenge a friend to competitive hippo feeding! Fling different types of fruit toward the hippos to lure them toward your side of the pool and score the most points.
- Hop Dodge (uses Toy-Con Wind Pedal): As a frog, jump as high as you can on an ever-growing stack of colourful balls while avoiding obstacles and heading soccer balls. The wind resistance from the Wind Pedal will make you feel as though you're actually experiencing a breeze.
- VR Plaza (all Toy-Con creations): Enjoy 64 bite-sized games and experiences in VR Plaza, including platformers and puzzlers. Many of these experiences can be enjoyed using only the Toy-Con VR Goggles and Nintendo Switch system.
Nintendo Labo VR Kit launches on 12 April in Europe and North America.